1/27/08 – Pedal Box & Cockpit Aluminum

Whew!  It feels good to get back into a grove.  We’re back from the holidays and – close on the heals of getting back from Chicago – our travels to NYC (thanks Ed & Claire!).  All of which means I’m able to spend a little time out in the garage.  It probably sounds a little strange, but I’m actually looking forward to a couple more months of dark, rainy weather before the time change, sunshine, and outdoor activities start to compete for time.  Speaking of time, the other day I decided the ultimate luxury (in the whole universe) is time.  Everything beyond this is only fun if you have the time to enjoy it…

Anyway, the first thing I dug into was the pedal box.  This is one of the donor pieces and provides the pivot points (and associated cutoff switches) for the clutch and brake pedals.  And it needs some work.  Thanks for Ford Motor Company, it’s completely unfinished and covered with surface rust.  Then, to fit against the FFR driver’s firewall, the bottom 1" of the vertical mounting surface needs trimming to avoid hitting the steering shaft.

I cleaned it up, removed the pedal brackets, bent them to provide more room in the footbox, and painted it using some "hammer" finish paint from Lowes:

DSC05287   

The red bits are an aftermarket clutch quadrant and firewall-mounted adjusted (another reason I went with this particular donor) from Cypress.

While stripping, cleaning and refinishing stuff I cleaned & painted the rear rotors the same ways as I did the fronts.  Sorry, no pictures of this (boring) process.  But if you’re interested, you can go back and look at what I did to the front rotors.

Then I dug out all the stored cockpit aluminum.  In addition to the pieces mounted for shipping, there was a whole other box full of strange and unusual things that had no obvious home.  After a few hours I managed fit and clamp most of it together:

DSC05289

Updates on other things:

I talked with the guys at Action Machine about the motor.  They’ve checked the block and our next steps include boring the cylinders .030" over, balancing the rotating assemblies, pressing new pistons on the connecting rods, and checking the cam with the Cam Doctor.  Hopefully they’ll be getting started this coming week.

I’m quickly realizing that – in many areas – I’m going to have to make some purchases.  Some of these include: Whitby Motorcar’s Power Brake Frame Mod., Russ Thompson’s Throttle Pedal & Pedal Covers, Vintage Performance Motorcar’s 3-link Brace Kit, and FFMetal’s Grand Slam aluminum kit.

Finally, we’ve got some more room in the garage.  This is nice for a number of reasons, one of which includes the ability have some perspective to get these kinds of photos:

DSC05298

Take Care!

–Joe