2/26/08 – Pedal Box, Fuel Tank & Banana Bracket Brace

Since we talked last I’ve made progress in several areas.  First, I mounted the pedal covers.

DSC05315

Then the brake booster needed painting before it could be mounted.  I also verified the front driver’s footbox panel wasn’t getting replaced with my FFMetal Grand Slam aluminum kit (it wasn’t, so it was safe to sandwich against the footbox firewall).

DSC05335

Next up was the 3-link banana brace bracket.  FFR recommends stitch-welding the banana bracket to the axle housing if you’re going to be racing, dropping the hammer, or generally abusing the car.  This keeps the bracket from rotating on the axle, which would be a Bad Thing.  Since all of these are distinct possibilities I wanted to beef it up, but don’t have a welder.  Fortunately there’s Vintage Performance Motorcars and their 3-link banana brace bracket.

But you know what?  I don’t have any pictures!  Gonna have to fix that.  Trust me, I installed it…

Anyway, then I went after the gas tank.  First it needed some serious cleaning.  Here’s what it looked like when I got started:

DSC05319

Then I peeled all the foam & rubber stuck to it, before finally spraying it with some truck bedliner to keep it from rusting.  No one’s ever going to see it, so I wasn’t too worried about making it perfect.  Here it is mounted in place – the tie-down was to hold it in place (my third hand):

DSC05342

The FFMetal Grand Slam started showing up today with the arrival of the battery box and passenger footbox.  I’ll be mounting these up this week (hopefully).  Also, Action Machine called and the built short-block is complete and ready to pick up.  So you might see some pictures of the motor next time!

Thanks for following along…

-Joe

All Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/caropepe/tags/mybuild/

2/11/08 – New Cabinets & Brake Booster

Another couple of weeks and a little more progress to report.  First, my neighbor Lance is remodeling his kitchen and was kind enough to donate some cabinets to the garage.  Little did he realize his role as donor included helping hang them in their new home.  We spent most of the day on Saturday (10 days ago) getting them mounted.

DSC05314

On that Sunday I marked and drilled the aluminum cockpit floor panels.  Now they’re held in place with cleckos.

This weekend I worked on mounting the power brake booster.  As mentioned last time this requires some customization.  First, I had to cut the frame so the booster canister would fit.  Then I had to grind out the footbox firewall in order to provide clearance.

DSC05303

The air compressor requires every bit of the 25 or so amps that supplies the entire garage.  I have to turn off most of the lights when using air tools so I don’t keep blowing the breaker.  Nothing like firing up a nasty 20,000 rpm die grinder and doing it in the dark…
 
DSC05306

Finally, to clear the steering shaft, I had to build some spacers using 1/8" aluminum.  Commons consensus says that 1/4" would be enough, but we (Rick & I were working on it Sunday) ended up making 3 plates, and using a set of washers to get it just right.

DSC05310

DSC05311

I’ve ordered the pedal kit that includes the throttle pedal and covers for the clutch and brake.  I’ve also ordered a kit providing additional bracing for the rear suspension.

The engine is getting built up into a short block.  I was originally going to build up the block myself, but since I’m getting a new (reground) E303 cam, the machine shop will be able to put it all together and degree the cam.

That’s it for now!

Joe

All Build Photos:
http://flickr.com/photos/caropepe/tags/mybuild

This Page:
http://garage.caropepe.com/home/ffr_cobra_project/FFR_Build_Diary/21108-new_cabinets_brake_booster.html

{{FormBlogComments}}